View Single Post
      04-18-2019, 11:29 AM   #24
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post

That said, I can wrench (and I do on all our cars) - an N54 doesn't scare me, but I just don't give a crap about the extra 1 second 0-60 time (if that, in reality) to deal with all that bullshit.

I always thought it would be fun to pick up a real cheap beater 335i to play with, but then I realize I already have no time for the other 10,000 projects I have going. I'd rather just drive my damn car..
You sound just like me. I do *all* my own maintenance and repairs on my cars. In the 20+ years I've been driving, the only time I've ever taken any car to a mechanic/dealer was for warranty repairs. I'm not afraid of replacing turbos, clutches, or anything else (been there, done that, Mitsubishi 4G63 days). I love the idea of having a great fast platform to work with (335) but realistically I have absolutely no need for any additional power. It's a fun idea but totally not necessary, and yes I'd rather just be driving or focused on other higher priority projects. My N52 is plenty of fun to drive, but would be even more so with a manual transmission.

Thanks for all the insight from all the replies. It sounds like I'll stick with the N52. I just got tempted when I was looking at used cars and saw many examples of used 335s priced similarly to the 328s. After further thought, I am just going to be content with the E90 325i auto that I have now and share it with my kid. We don't even need an extra car (walking distance from his high school) so I can just save the extra cash.
Appreciate 0