View Single Post
      02-22-2012, 09:03 AM   #18
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post
-- I believe OP posted in another thread that his temps are just above the 78c required to start a DPF purge, i guarantee like mine, it will be falling below that level in less than perfect conditions. I think he's already tried a m-way drive. Perhaps a forced regen is the only way to go.
Forced regeneration... I think that is probably the only way to see if the DPF (as it is) can be salvaged.

If there wasn't the current issue, an active generation should trigger at high 70's, if the other parameters are correct.

I had an active regeneration in mine the other morning, ECT was barely up to 75C from cold and it started, within a mile or so, ECT was up to 92C, and mpg was dropping, (as is the norm for an active regeneration). Regeneration was completing in about 8 miles of free running, most at about 60mph in 6th gear, (which is typical mileage required in my car). When I had to drop speed the auto held a lower gear, showing I was still in the regeneration phase, ECT was still holding 92C.

Even before changing the main thermostat I had still seen into the 90's on an active regeneration, while running low to mid 80's.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0