Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettasii View Post
I am not an expert, but how about this? Turbo boost is fixed unless you tune it. So HP is fixed? Inlet air temperature should be the same with or without the scoops, right? Assuming these are correct, dyno is not going to show any differences.

Now throttle response is a different story. The scoops should increase the inlet pressure a bit. Not sure how much, but should be a bit. Now for the same boost pressure at the engine, the turbo does not have to do as much work. So less turbo lag, faster throttle response?
If you watch the video, you'll see the guy uses a leaf blower to simulate the air coming in. He has a scoop on one side and no scoop on the other. He has a lit candle at the back of the engine compartment. The scoop side causes the air to be sufficiently concentrated to blow out the candle while the non-scoop side does not blow the candle out. Maybe its just a cheap parlor trick but does seem to lend credence to the theory that the scoop is concentrating more air to the engine.