12-21-2015, 02:42 PM   #43
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
Did some circuit repair which didn't resolve the issue with the CAS board. Did some more tracing and the starter relay has 12 v coming in, but only peaks at 6 volts on the outbound side, and only for a split-second.

The problem could very well be somewhere else, since it seems the relay triggers for just a split-second, verses staying closed until ignition. Manually holding the circuit closed (jumping 21 to 22) spins the starter and the engine fires up.

I'm not sure if replacing the CAS will fix anything, but it will definitely make me feel better since I saw overload damage on it.

The more I dig, the more I see that I should follow your advice and find a shop that has an AutoHex II.

I have a blank CAS coming (no VIN or keys) from someone else who started down this route, but found their problem was in the ground wire.

Anyone know a shop in Houston that is capable of this?
I suggest pinging Alex at ABR (Advanced BMW Repair.) If he doesn't have the ability, perhaps he can refer you to someone local that can help. In addition to AutoHex II, I believe that BMW-Explorer can also do it.

If you can't find someone local, it may be possible to get a dump from your CAS and write it to the used one with a R270 BDM programmer.

Best of luck and let us know how things work out.