07-10-2018, 10:53 AM   #32
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
http://www.xhorsetool.com/wholesale/bmw-multi-tool.html

The Hitag2 and R270 will still work and I will make a guide on how to use them but this works through ODB2, removing the possibility of damaging the CAS while soldering.
The Hitag2/R270 approach will only work if the CAS is unencrypted. All CAS3+, and CAS3 with updated firmware will have encrypted portions that Rosfar will not read. Hitag2 software will still update the dump, and everything will appear fine, but after uploading to the CAS, new keys won't work. I know this because this was my first approach to making my own keys.

I've been watching, and am curious, since you have a CAS2, whether or not your approach would work. I think it will for CAS2, because I haven't seen anything about SOPT update for CAS2. I could be wrong, and CAS2 unit's may have also have had updated firmware.

The Multitool should work well. But there is always some risk. I purchased an original FVDI, and used it to program keys for my car. I thought I could subsidize the cost, by leasing it out. But, I quickly realized that it's not all that simple, and there is a real amount of risk involved in using these tools, so I've decided against trying to use it on anyone else's car. I paid a UK locksmith $350 for the tool, and programmed 7 keys for my car(2 CA, 2 Remote, and 3 Emergency), so I figure I got my money out of it.

Also, I'm assuming that the forum you spoke of in the OP, was Digital Kaos? If it's not, the locksmith forum on Digital Kaos is an excellent resource, BUT remember that these are professional locksmiths who make their living being locksmiths. They will help other professional locksmiths, but can take offense of non-locksmiths taking money away from locksmiths. So, I always made a point that I had tried to find a local locksmith to help, but couldn't find one, whenever I posted there.

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 0