View Single Post
      12-13-2018, 04:40 PM   #328
Darkswarmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Excited to join this community of 335d owners!

Hey all, apologize for the mammoth post

I just bought my 2011 335d about 3k miles ago, it currently has 103,000 miles. This car is my first BMW and is a DREAM to drive (pics attached for attention). My wife is already sick of me talking about how much I love it. Upgraded from a Mazda 6s which is now kicked out of the garage to the street.
No wonder there's such a cool community around these cars . They are amazing. I'm here in the Salt Lake area. Reading this entire thread and related/linked to material I'm left with some more questions. Conscious that many of the posts in this thread are years old and that some of the vendors/tuners mentioned may no longer be offering services/products so here's some context before my questions about Alphabet Soup deleting:

Car recently threw these codes along with the big scary "Engine Malfunction, possible to continue" dash warning:

P0101 - Mass or Volume Air Flow A Circuit Range / Performance
P0112 - Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit Low

After doing some googling and reading on this forum, I bought and replaced the MAF and Air filter. Cleared the codes, drove it and now the cars' "Service Engine Soon" light is on. The above codes are gone but it is now throwing these new codes :

P0401 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected
P009A - Intake Air Temperature / Ambient Air Temperature Correlation

I have no perceptible difference in funness, drivability and fastness. I f*cking love driving this car. Just has the SES light.

Whiiich is why I've spent a few hours reading everything on this thread about the various stages of deleting that's been discussed here. I've read the entire thread including the attached PDFs as well as some related delete threads. I'm really really wanting to do this, guys. Utah County doesn't check diesel emissions so it shouldn't affect registering it every year unless I move to a county that does emissions checks. I still have my old car and am not planning to sell it so I still have a spare car to use while working on my 335d— I'd have no time constraints I'll post my questions numbered so you can pick and choose which to answer Thank you in advance for any information you can give me, I'm totally blown away by the friendliness and welcoming feeling this community has. Glad to join the family!

Questions after reading this whole thread and a few others:

1. Is there a reasonably practical way to preserve the ability to go back to stock after a full alphabet soup delete (say I move to an area that requires diesel emissions like Las Vegas)?

2. If not, which parts COULD be deleted and then returned to stock? After reading around it seems only the EGR delete is reversible w/out spending dumb amounts of money? Is it too expensive to just buy a straight exhaust pipe from the downpipe out to the muffler Have a muffler shop custom build one in (no idea the ballpark price of something like that)?

3. I assume you can tune back to factory settings? (I may be moving in the next 5 years to Vegas, we have family there)

4. Is a CBU cleaning recommended before/after doing any of the deletes mentioned on this thread? Based on the codes my car is throwing it may need that

5. Would any kind soul be available for me to text/email questions if I attempt it and get stuck? I'm not afraid to turn a wrench; I removed the dash from my Mazda before to get to the evaporator core and replaced all its motor mounts while on jack stands which I hear "can be done" with the DEF delete on the 335d— but I don't want to start this and get stuck and have no one there to help because this thread started almost four years ago

6. Is there a good place to read up on the differences between the different stage tunes? In your opinion whats the best tune that doesn't decrease life expectancy of any of the parts but still gives more power and fun?

7. How have people's cars been holding up after the deletes and tunes? Those that have done it years ago— do you still have your car and has it had other issues related? How has it aged after the delete & tune?

8. Do you recommend four jack stands or just two (I'd have to go the jackstand route for deleting anything)

9. Is a transmission flush + tune required or just recommended when doing a delete?

10. How much did you guys spend— out the door— on your deletes? How much for each part and tool you bought, how much for the tune you got, etc. Rough estimates are totally fine, I just want an idea. I've got loads of time and a spare car so I'm not concerned about taking it slow and learning a ton along the way— But I want to feel out how much I'd save VS just eating the bill at the nearest BMW center and fixing the stock systems. I'll drop off the car for a quote from BMW tomorrow.

Again thank you in advance guys I'm anxious to get the codes resolved one way or another as this car is a billion times more fun to drive than my mazda 6. No offense Mazda. Cheers!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0