View Single Post
      08-05-2008, 02:44 PM   #78
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus View Post
I love that. So many people think of detailing as washing a car. You're an RN and need to point out that you don't make $75/hr, so a detailer shouldn't? Is that the inference? Do you pay your mechanic $75/hr? Your plumber? Your roofer? Electrician? I bet you do. The difference is for those trades you need a license, and to detail you don't - which is why there are so many hacks. If electricians were as unregulated as detailers houses would be burning down all over the place. Does that mean detailing is easier? No, it's just that anyone can call themselves a professional. Problem is most of them suck; the same as I'd suck at re-wiring your house.

Detailing at this level is every bit as skilled as being any one of the trades I just mentioned. And before someone rags on me for defending my trade; I spent a long time in school to become an engineer; I make more money detailing then I did working as an engineer. Is that wrong? I don't think so - detailing is every bit as skilled and a hell of a lot harder work.
Detailing is very hard work. It's physically demanding, time consuming, and can be tedious. Based on that, I can understand why detailers charge the rates they do. It is not easy work. Not by a long shot. When friends or relatives ask me to "do their cars", I shudder. This is one reason why it's purely a hobby for me, not a business. I enjoy seeing my own car shine, but don't necessarily enjoy all the work to get it there.
Appreciate 0