View Single Post
      07-13-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
EastBayE90
Formerly (-(ellblazer420
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i M/T, 15 F80 M3 DCT

Garage List
Exclamation DIY: Windshield Washer Pump Filter Cleaning for under hood PWM meth kits

The new PWM Meth kit from Vishnu has been released to the public. I wanted to post this DIY for all of those about to install this kit. The PWM Meth kit taps into the factory Windshield Washer hose that comes from the washer pump, up to the sprayers on the hood. On my car it was noticed that I had a lack of flow coming from the washer tank due to build up on the washer pump filter. Most of the cars that the PWM meth kit was installed on had no issues at all. For some reason my car was “special” and required cleaning. This was put together so that you guys could clean the filter incase you experience the same lack of flow that I did.

You will need a 10mm socket, a 8mm socket, and 1 Torx bit (can’t remember the size)

Jack up the passenger side of the car and remember to use jack stands. Once the car is up remove the passenger front wheel. You will then need to remove the passenger side turn signal. Push forward towards the front of the car while pulling out on the back of the signal. It will slide over and pull out. Remove the connector from the light.

Now you must remove the wheel arch cover (rear portion). Use the sockets and Torx bit to remove the various nuts located in this image. Keep in mind that some of the bolts are located on the bottom portion of plastic facing the ground.

This is what the rear wheel arc cover plastic looks like when you have it all the way out.

Another shot of the arc cover with the reservoir in the background.

This is the total count of bolts that will be removed and the tools needed.

Once you have the cover off there is one bolt holding the washer reservoir in place. Remove that bolt and slide the whole reservoir forward. This will allow you to access the pump. You will pull straight up on the pump and remove it from the reservoir.
BRO TIP: the black rubber grommet has the washer pump filter on the end of it. Be careful when removing the pump sometimes the filter will fall off the rubber grommet and fall into the reservoir. This happened to us and it took a little bit of turning and shaking to get it out.

Let the washer fluid drain out into a bucket. If the rubber grommet/filter falls in to the reservoir you will then need to remove the reservoir completely to be able to shake the filter out.

Here is a pic of the reservoir draining. (it takes a long time)
Now if you were lucky and did not drop the filter into the reservoir then you can skip the removal of the reservoir. If you dropped the filter in the reservoir then you will need to completely drain and remove the reservoir. This will allow you to shake the reservoir until the filter falls out.

THIS STEP IS ONLY NEEDED IF THE FILTER FELL INTO THE RESERVOIR
Once the reservoir is completely drained, you will then need to pull it out further towards the front of the car. You will unplug the fluid level sensor connector and remove the harness from the reservoir. The red arrow is pointing to the harness clip that goes into the reservoir. The big white tube is the filler neck for the reservoir. Just lift up on the tab and pull straight out to remove the filler neck. Once everything is disconnected pull the whole reservoir out and shake it different directions to get the filter to fall out the filler neck hole. It will take some time so don’t get frustrated.

Once the filter pops out you will notice it all caked with some nasty grime. This is what was restricting the flow of the meth through the factory washer pump.

Use some brake cleaner or any cleaning liquid and wipe it off with a paper towel. Blow through it and make sure you have all the little holes completely cleaned out.

It should look like this when you are done.

After cleaning the filter grab the rubber grommet that was holding the pump in the reservoir. The grommet just squeezes into the filter and becomes 1 piece. Carefully place this back in the reservoir. (Don’t drop the filter again into the reservoir otherwise you will be trying to get it out again.) Once the filter and grommet are seated carefully install the pump into the grommet and click it back into the reservoir while pressing down. After the pump is back in just install everything in reverse order. Now you are ready for some PWM Meth!!!

(410whp 445ft/lbs | DCI + Meth Only)
OpenFlash OTS Stage 1 Flash | Vishnu PWM Meth Kit | Vishnu DCI| Forge DVs
Appreciate 0