View Single Post
      11-18-2018, 08:37 PM   #16
rkstar9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 3.5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik325tds View Post
That is a strange sound. Definitely not normal. Maybe you have a short at the injector that then pulls down voltage enough for the DDE to stop? Did you check the wiring of the starter? Oh wait, if it is before crank it could be the glow plugs or glow plug module but that wouldn't stop the crank.
Can you check voltage supply to the DDE during crank? It shouldn't drop below 9V.
It really sounds like its a arc of electricity inside the cilynder. I tried listening close to the glow plug module but its deffinitely more center of the engine and back.

I should add that the arc only happens when the battery is plugged back in for the first time and the engine is cranked. It does not come back after that unless battery is unplugged again and some time goes by.

Thats a good reading to take, It's 27 degrees today so Ill try tomorrow.

I'm guessing just take the measurement at one of the red cables going into the ecu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
I still think it's a ground issue, an arc like that coming on with the starter sounds like your ground fix may not be optimal... Check with a voltmeter between body and engine while cranking. It should be less than a volt drop when cranking...
I think so too, it's hard to replicate a properly working ground strap. My jumper cables are too long and probably can't get a good contact.

The way I tested ground earlier was to test battery positive and negative voltage then test the red positive port at the engine compartment against the chasis.
The voltage drop was less than 0.4 volts...but i think this test is for your average car..bmw might be way more sensitive than that.

will take the measurements. also tomorrow I get the new OEM ground strap.

---------
While reading TIS i found this interesting bit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIS
If the DDE detects a rail pressure control discrepancy that is outside the permissible limits, its first action is to limit the fuel injection rate and lower the rail pressure. If this does not eliminate the control deviation or keep it to a low level, the engine cuts out if the rail pressure is too low. If rail pressure that is too low is detected at engine start, a fault is set. If the rail pressure remains below 80 bar, the DDE does not enable fuel injection and the engine start is not possible."
So the hypothesis that the faulty fuel pressure regulator has thrown the car into a safe mode holds water. No way to know if the non working Crankcase and Camshaft sensors are part of that protocol. But the fact that two sensors have failed at the same time is a bit suspicious.

Last edited by rkstar9; 11-18-2018 at 08:45 PM..
Appreciate 0