View Single Post
      07-03-2005, 02:10 PM   #7
pitbull436
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

I purchased the Belkin Auto Kit and Griffin AirClick combo ($40 each) and I've been pretty happy with it. The Belkin charger DOES fit inside the center console with the lid closed (just barely). It also has audio out which you connect to the AUX jack. This MUCH better than the FM transmitter I used in my E46 which seemed to have me trying to find a frequency that worked more often than listening to music.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=149006

http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro...lick/index.php

Normally the volume out of the iPod is much quieter than the AM/FM/CD inputs so the extra amp volume control on charger helps bring it up to the same level (so you don't scare the crap out of yourself when you switch and forget to turn down the volume). I haven't figured out a way to adjust the Aux volume independently of the AM/FM/CD volume (I have iDrive). jhbodle how are you doing this??

The AirClick remote is also nice because you can put it anywhere (steering wheel, ebrake, pocket) and control the iPod (pause/play, FF/REW, Next/Prev track) without an ugly wire running to the console. I like this better than the "iPod your BMW" solution because the iPod is still within reach (in the center console instead of globebox) and I can quickly open it and pick a new playlist, etc. It would be nice if the iDrive screen could show artist/song titles, but for now this seems to be the next best solution.

As a nice bonus, when I turn the car off, it seems to automatically pause the iPod. I guess this is similar to when you yank out your headphones how the iPod is smart enough to pause for you. Also with the AirClick, you can hold down the Play/Pause button to turn on/off the iPod remotely.

I did notice a slight difference between using the headphone out and the bottom jack, but you have to have high quality MP3s to notice. If you have low quality (128 kbps, etc.) it won't matter how you connect the iPod, they will sound bad.
Appreciate 0