12-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #15
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRobert View Post
These Focal "subs" actually put out some respectable midbass with low distortion (to my aging ears, at least) that is more than a little bit better than the HK/L7s they replaced. However, please note that I also replaced the amp that is driving them, so I now have 150 watts/channel going to them, which is more than double what I had before. I have no way of knowing if the improvement in midbass is from the speakers, the amp, or a combination of both.

I stand by my first impression though, and am already making plans for a real subwoofer in the trunk. I had a dash-mounted volume knob installed for the underseat speakers, and find myself cranking it up to get more bass, but it is not the balanced sound I'm after. By increasing the volume on the 8" speakers I get a lot more midbass, but what I really want is just a little more on the lower end of the spectrum, which is still lacking. And I'm talking about listening at medium volumes - I'm not one to crank up the volume and blow out the whole neighborhood. In retrospect I think my expectations for what I could get out of the underseat speakers were too high. The mids and highs sound real nice though, and I think that after getting a real subwoofer with its own amp and retuning the underseats for their proper role I will have the sound system I've been wanting.
My advice would be to return them if you can, or cut a deal with the shop where you bought them that they give you some sort of credit towards the purchase of a trunk sub and amp combo.

The L7 woofers, with the additional power, work pretty well as midbass drivers and you would probably not notice a huge difference between those and the Focals.