View Single Post
      10-17-2021, 05:33 PM   #49
charlie_m
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFreeman20 View Post
Temperature dependent vibration is nearly always due to un-even pad deposits, because the 'transfer layer' deposited on the brake discs can break down if things get too hot. But I've ran thermocouples on the discs and know that on the 1M front discs peak at 460C on track, so on the road the discs are probably 300-350C max, which is very cold for performance brakes. So I'm very confident the brakes aren't overheating, and besides usually you can see uneven pad deposits with the naked eye (dark splodges around the disc).

In my experience the problem is likely one of 2 things:
1) the calipers are binding/not sliding freely, causing hot spots on the disc which leads to an un-even transfer layer when these localised hot-spots get extremely hot
2) the brake disc is simply a 'bad' metallurgy and just doesn't allow the pad to bed-in properly to the disc
This is great to see! Please don't discount the effect of suspension movement (stiffness) though. I realize the thinking is that it's a thermal problem, but other things are getting hot too. There may be some interaction.

Curious if anyone with upgraded less compliant control arm bushings has seen this (I expect not). And also if the problem also shows up with higher performance brake pads with stock bushings (I expect it has).

Quote:
More to follow soon
Great!
Appreciate 0