08-29-2008, 03:45 PM   #66
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
I dislike the DSP, it makes the music too meek and directional.
The main advantage of a DSP, for me, is imaging. When you have a good DSP and it is working correctly, you should be able to close your eyes and "see" the face of the singer in front of you. Like his/her head was hovering right there in front of you, about head-high. If you turn the DSP off, you will probably not be able to hear a central source for the voices, and you can probably hear voices coming from the left and the right speakers at the same time, which is undesirable. You don't really know what good imaging can do until you have experienced it first hand. You'll never want to go back, trust me!

Of course, tonality is also important, and we can sort of correct it through the built-in eq, but the adjustability is somewhat limited.

When I bought this car I was expecting much, much more form this audio system. I just scratch my head when I sit there listening to music, and the voices are coming from the left side of the dash. I mean how hard would it have been for them to add another setting that is optimized for the driver only and correctly puts the image right in front of you?

Time to upgrade I guess. I will add an Alpine PXE-H650 digital signal processor and some amps for around $1000 and let the Alpine unit auto-tune my car to give me the sound I would have expected to be there to begin with.
Appreciate 0