View Single Post
      07-12-2018, 02:26 PM   #115
Sparkee
Stability is Overrated
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 328i Sedan w/MT6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacoburn1304 View Post
Hey guys, I am so close...that's what she said.

Can someone in detail explain to me how to get the red bolts out of the picture included. The ones in blue, piece of cake, came right off. But I can not get the red ones to budge.

Do I understand right, that you leave the nut and simply use the T40 to loosen the whole bolt, because that makes me VERY nervous about stripping it. I also looked at the nuts, and they appear to have little clips, so am I supposed to try and turn them.

VERY novice mechanic, but after a week in my garage, this is all I have left (assuming I can get a stripped caliper bolt out from the idiot who owned my car before me). Any help would be great! I'm addicted to fixin up my 1.

If I understand what you are saying, you have it backwards. The nut turns to loosen and the T40 (which goes into the ball joint) does not. The ball joints have a tapered fitting that goes up into the seat that helps hold it securely in place and ensure its alignment. But, that taper is otherwise smooth and will allow the joint to spin in the seat sometimes. Hence, the T40 is there to help you keep it from spinning.

We used an impact wrench which worked for most of them. Saves gobs of time.

Since I replied after your post, I should have answered this before. Sorry.

For the rest of my story, I had the car aligned today and now it feels great. We actually had it pretty close using a tape measure, but were off by a couple of tenth degrees.
Appreciate 1