Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.f.leonard View Post
If coaxial speakers provide sound better than the stock HiFi at all, in any way, then thats what I want to go with due to their price. And just by looking at them they look like they will perform better. So unless there is any big reason that I shouldn't I believe the set up I will go with is the 4 channel Alpine amp as mentioned previously and then those Kicker 4" coaxial speakers. Once installed I will take out the factory tweeters as they will more than likely not be needed any longer. Then I will have to figure out an upgrade for the woofers under the seats unless they can handle 50 watts a piece.
You mean reasons besides the better on-axis imaging the door tweeter location provides, the less cancellation of sound waves; the less muddling of off-axis sound. There's a lot of reasons just in car structure alone that implies you should have a separate tweeter in general.

Now if you were in a base system and you didn't want to spend money on new sails, I kinda get it since it's still an evolution. Keep in mind your sails will now be empty -- so the odd look there unless you already have the version with the foam backing behind the grill. Hey, here's a poor plug: I have some stock non-tweeter sails if you want to buy them haha.

And remember that mid-to-lower register, direction gets less important as you go into lower Hz. So the underseats and the door need less on-axis than the tweeter.

To your other query, IIRC a lot of people used to say "push the underseat till it blows," because it sounds decent once it's amplified. Try that out first and maybe save a few bucks. You blow them or want to upgrade later, hey, the wiring is already there.
I kinda get what you are saying, and it does make sense for each speaker to be their own "thing", but I cant seem to find individual mids for a decent price. If I have to, I might go for the Fischer kit that comes with 2 mids and 2 tweeters and 2 crossovers... its just $250 and thats more than Id like to spend. Ive also heard they arnt an easy install. Any experience with those?
Appreciate 0