View Single Post
      03-27-2024, 05:27 AM   #42
cparke
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i N52

GSB - in my OP, I asked, "Does starter normally vary in how many cranking amps it needs from one start to the next? That could explain some of this."

Seems your response just above confirms this is a very plausible explanation for what I'm experiencing. The problem, then, is indeed the battery itself, not the starter or wiring or anything else. At times when maximum cranking amps are needed because of random positioning of the motors, the battery voltage drops to the extremely low levels below 8 volts and the starter doesn't get enough power initially and struggles to get turning.

So we're saying that the root cause is a failing battery losing its charge and cranking amps over time? I'm concerned these slow starts are taxing on the starter motor's windings, and could lead to burning the starter motor out from extra heat generated when it can't turn initially due to insufficient power, as well as eventually getting stranded and needing a jump start.

So my options at this point are either keep recharging the battery regularly, or change the battery? Still, why does it seem the battery can't be fully recharged by the alternator as well as by the maintenance charger? I know the drives aren't 12 hours straight, and the charging voltage (and amperage) erratic, but this setup is supposed to be the normal way the car maintains the battery. Which is why I wonder if IBS is not charging the battery aggressively enough, or the alternator not putting out enough amps? Recall that it's odd that I've never seen this happen on the first (cold) start, only after drive time and several consecutive starts, at times when the battery should have just been recharged!
Appreciate 0