View Single Post
      05-12-2021, 05:46 AM   #181
StevenN
Rep
Drives: BMW 325d

CIC SSDIssue

Thanks AstroZ. Very informative and useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroZ View Post

Remember, there are several issues at play here:
1) It could be that the SSD assumes TRIM is enabled on the OS but QNX does not support TRIM (likely). maybe the SSD cannot work without TRIM support in the OS.
2) It could be that TRIM is enabled on the SSD but the SSD does not have time to complete the zeroing operations e.g. when the car is off.
3) It could be that TRIM commands/low-level erase information never reaches the SSD because of the SATA->IDE controller.
4) it could be that after a long period of use without TRIM the time for writes becomes too long due to fragementation, and casues issues.
5) something else (e.g. SSD/flash memory health?)

On looking into this in greater details, especially around the, "Trim" Function, it seems that QNX4 Does NOT support the Trim Support. Without the, "Trim" support, the SSD will simply get filled, there is no means for the OS to actively delete data, this then leads to a noticiable slowdown in the performance, (Something I did notice after I put the re-cloned MSATA back in, performance much improved) and eventualy the system not working properly.

I think that as your rightly say, there is not much data written to the SSD, then the SSD may prove an adequate solution, provided data is limited as much as possible to the SSD, also, with map updates, probably best to the original HDD, then recloned back to the SSD to limit the data stored.

I found this post on this issue with QNX4 and the problem with SSD's:

https://community.qnx.com/sf/discuss...ost_post116949

It seems, that the only reasonable solution is that in another year or so, experience the same problems and have to dismantle the car again. However, I can't go dismantling the car every year!

So, it seems that the QNX is only suitable for HDD's which is why it's still used in later BMW's. Therefore, the better solution would be to update the original HDD Toshiba 8050 GAC @ 4,200 RPM (Which are impossible to find new) to the newer version used in the F Series cars but spin at 5,200 RPM. Quicker access and suitable for the QNX. This is one I found on Ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-CIC-S...iABEgLzL_D_BwE

If this proves quicker than the previous HDD drive, 5,400 RPM Vs 4,200 (28% quicker) then it may prove the longer term solution. If or not this drive is Automotive grade is difficult to determine.

Thanks

Last edited by StevenN; 05-12-2021 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: Additional information added
Appreciate 0