beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Yaz View Post
Yes I have test driven a 56 plate cobalt blue, fully loaded 997 Turbo! The salesman had to use a crowbar to get me out of it!! If this damn recession didnt screw everything up, thats what I would have had! So I thought the 996 cant be too far off, and I wasnt too wrong in saying that! apart from the slightly dated interior and the VGT's reducing lag there isnt a huge difference in that respect. But I love the looks of the 997, even more so the new facelift! Would you have the new one in PDK or manaul??
Glad you have driven one and yes, this recession and house priority are the reasons I sold mine.

Yaz, some folk say the 997 Turbo interior is 'dated', perhaps yes who knows (who cares) and in all honesty it doesn't matter imo because driving one is like nothing else. You ever ridden motorbikes? As you may know, you're part of a motorbike when you ride it. The Porsche Turbo imo is a rare thing in a car where you feel such a part of the car, it's so involving and everything is just there for the driver. The whole experience and package has to be experienced to 'get it' if that makes sense. I've never driven a car that is so fluid, I have so much faith and confidence in and has the performance of some motorbikes!

I found that the car was perfectly happy ambling along but then as soon as the opportunity arose, WOW wake up time and friggin 'ell what an animal. I pulled a shoulder muscle one day pushing on hard and I'd overtaken someone whilst I was in fourth gear ffs, not the usual third gear as in most cars, had it in sports chrono and must have been one of those perfect air density days for turbos if you know what I mean, because the car was bloody flying. Tbh, I think it was mainly due to my lack of overall physical strength compared to a man as the car could be quite a handful when pushing on............took lots of concentration to 'master' the car and be in control, but hell what a challenge, and what fun and adrenalin rush. I always treated it with respect ultimately, had every faith in the car, but also understood my limits lol............the fun is always in trying to push ones limits though.

As for PDK versus manual, hmmm. The Cayman S in PDK as it gets the best out the engine. The Turbo though........tried a tiptronic, wasn't for me. I'm a manual fan at heart and my gut reaction would be a manual box, it's such a sweet box to boot. Would have to try a Generation II in PDK as I'm sure it's bloody good. But my heart at the mo says manual, despite the fact that the Generation I's sell 60% tiptronic and 40% manuals. Mind you the bloke that bought mine isn't a quick driver by all accounts...........what a friggin waste.
Appreciate 0