02-16-2019, 09:24 PM   #228
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_mane View Post
Well I'm fairly positive it's a rod bearing problem. I took the belt off and turned the motor by hand. It turns, but it's very rough in a couple of spots. If I back it off the rough spot and try to start it, the starter turns the motor until it hits the rough patch and just stops. Having it towed back to my shop now and I'll be taking off the pan and inspecting the bearings soon. I'll post pictures to this thread as well.

I did not prime the housing before starting it up. I have never done it before. I've changed dozens of these filter gaskets and never had a problem (on other people's cars of course.) This is the second or third time I've done it to my own. I made sure not to let anything get into the oil passages and made sure there were no remnants of shop rag or anything like that to get in there. In hindsight I wish I would have just poured some oil through there but I really can't believe that's all it takes to ruin a motor. I did remove the filter before taking anything apart, and let the oil drain down into the pan.

I also did not drain the oil. My oil has about 3,000 miles on it so I figured it was good for a bit longer.

I did the repair, started it and let the car idle for a few minutes after I was finished, then shut it off and let it sit for about half an hour. Then I did an alignment to it so I started it up and put it on the alignment rack, shut it off and it sat for another almost hour while I did that. Took it on a test drive and drove it easily (kept under 3k RPM) because I was worried about running into this problem. Didn't give me any problems, motor felt fine, no knocking noises or weird sensations. Further along the test drive, it stalled out (right after taking it out of gear and trying to coast) and I just chalked it up to my valvetronic acting weird or something. It fired right back up no problem. I pulled it into a parking lot and rev'd the motor in neutral. Held the revs everywhere in the 1000-3200 rpm range, listening for knocking but never heard anything out of the ordinary.
After all that, I go to drive home. Driving it easily again, under 3k rpm, no problems at all. Decided to give it a little gas and get into boost (nowhere near WOT though, light boosting.) Got it up to about 4500 RPM and took it out of gear, motor immediately shut down once out of gear. It didn't act funny at all while it was accelerating. I had no reason to think there was a problem until I took it out of gear. I was nowhere near beating on this car, or even driving "spiritedly." Oil was at operating temperature before I ever got into boost, not a single code stored in the DME.

This sucks though. I hope I can get away with just changing the bearings. Hopefully no damage done to the crank or block. I never heard any knock at all so I'm hoping that will be the case. 108k on my motor, always used BMW 5w30 and recently switched to German Castrol 0w40 for the last few oil changes.

Edit: And sorry for kinda hijacking this thread, but I figured it was the most relevant one to the problem I'm running into. I know there's been a lot of debating when it comes to how and why this happens, and I'm just hoping that my input can help in some way. Plus I just wanted to vent about this BULLSHIT I'm running into. I literally JUST put on M3 control arms and realigned it and was soo happy with how it was handling, and then it just fuckin dies on me. It's been a rough saturday lol.
Oh man no kidding it sucks.

Ur not highjacking anything in my opinion. Ur experience says putting new bearings will not save u from this issue.

Putting new bearings is nice but this motor lock up is weird AS FUKC

You did pretty much the same thing as me. Eaxctly. Which is so odd.

OBV the OFHG replacement had something to do with the failure.

1 coincidence ok. But there are way too many immediately after this rework.

freaking BMW , this OFHG is such a pain in the f butt. HUGE design flaw. worry about this or worry about it spilling all over the belt... which can ALSO treat u with a motor fail. BMW FAIL
Appreciate 0