02-17-2019, 09:27 AM   #231
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
I know this is mainly a 1/3 series group and I have heard some mention the issue happened on E70s also.

I'm from Australia and all our N55s have some form of oil cooling. 1/3 series get oil to air coolers with a thermostatic valve in place of the oil to coolant heat exchanger fitted to other series.

Do all your 1/3 series N55s have oil coolers?

If they do, then I wonder if the thermostat opening temperature has something to do with this issue? Most report the issue happening not immediately but after a brief drive or after picking up the vehicle from a workshop. Would that not correlate with the oil cooler thermostat opening up, thus allowing a pocket of air to circulate under load? (Nobody mentioned the engine seized whilst idling as far as i remember)
The oil thermostat is design to allow constant oil circulation. Doesn't close 100%. I have had at shop locked up x3 and x5 n55 that had oil to coolant not oil to air radiator. Also had locked up 3 series without any oil cooler. If you ask my I say that all of these failed engines right after some repair job already had an issue and the momentarily lack of oil destroy them completely. These engines can go for a while with a bearing issue that is often undetectable by layman driver.
Appreciate 0