View Single Post
      05-25-2020, 09:32 PM   #54
abkonsta
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Just did this job (had to replace a bad rocker) on my 2009 E93.
Here is what mine looked like next to one of the good ones.

Name:  20200516_175011.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  865.2 KB

After doing some research, I settled on this timing tool from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075TZSKRP..._z2hZEb81SKBQ8

It includes the dummy tensioner, is reasonably affordable, and everything worked out of the box, even the lock pin. For N54, you use the longer one of the two provided with the kit.

The kit comes with *no* instructions, so, read this DIY, watch some YouTube videos and read the Bentley manual and all will be well.

This job takes time and patience. Bending over the motor torquing the cam ledge bolts and then the valve cover was the hardest part because it can be hard on your back and it requires patience.

I did this job in four nights (not counting the days waiting for parts to arrive), maybe 3-4 hours each night. I like to get to a stopping point, then I go inside, clean up and read about the next step(s) and maybe watch some videos.

The car sounds SO much better now.

And yes, the top end knock from bad rockers/lifters *can* in fact set off the detonation knock warning codes, we now have multiple owners who have confirmed this!
Appreciate 1
seccsc239.00