Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Here it is... Full Non-iDrive to CIC Retrofit done

So after one of my friends did a full CIC retrofit I decided "its time" and bought all of the parts needed. I want to make it clear now if you are not in a rush you can do this retrofit for close to $900-1200

I can honestly say this this isn't really as hard as it sounds and taking the dashboard off really isn't that bad.

Some tips (some are mine and some Kevin's):

• Take your time and organize everything you take out, I put all the screws in bags.
  • Have the right tools, namely phillips head screw driver, T10, T20, T25 torx, 10mm socket (all I can remember off the top of my head)
  • Tape the clock spring so it doesn't move when you take it out.
  • Test everything with the dash off
  • Make sure the bottom of the dash lines up well, it is possible for it to be out of alignment even if it looks right
  • Don't panic if you don't hear audio at first, your head unit probably just needs to be coded.

I'm sure I'll think of more tips soon.

NOTES ON WIRING:
This was the scariest part and I had no clue how to do it, this was @djkevinnn 's area of expertise. He is truly awesome.

We seem to think the best way to wire this is to avoid the junction box completely based on some random issues I had with the controller not working.

Basically the emulator you use for nav activation has 6 wires. 2 for power, 2 for can high and low in, and 2 for can high and low out. The best way to wire it is to tap the CAN IN on the emulator cable when running CAN Hi and Lo from the controller and LCD. You then just need to find a source for power for the LCD and controller. Kevin can hopefully comment on whether what I am saying here is correct.

Parts needed (will update with PN's soon):

Nav Dashboard
CIC Headunit (US or Euro works)
CIC Controller
Center Console Trim w/ Cutout for controller
CIC 8.8" LCD
Climate control trim
Headunit surround trim
Screws for LCD
Screws for headunit
Pink CIC to CID fakra cable
4 and 8 pin connectors

Time for pics! Will post more soon and a video of it all working.

Tools laid out:

Coming apart:

Wiring:

Working!:

Last edited by smithf80; 06-28-2014 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 3