View Single Post
      07-28-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
jeffb335
Rep
Drives: BMW

HINTS, TIPS, AND HIDDEN FEATURES

Ill be adding little hints and tricks here as I run across them and people ask about them.

REBOOT
Since the N6 does not actually turn off with the key but instead goes into standby mode for a period of time, getting it to reboot could be a tedious wait....but you dont have to, just hold down the source button for 6 seconds and the unit will reboot.

UPDATES
Go to dynavins website for the latest firmware updates, go to the product page for the unit that you have (N6-E9X in this case) and scroll to the bottom to see the DynOS firmware link, http://www.dynavin.com/products/n6_e9x.php

Its easy to update and the instructions are in the download link but to reiterate, download the files from dynavins website, extract them and put the 3 files on an SD card. Put the SD card in the MMC slot in the dynavin, go to the "info" setting on the second home page and press the blue "update now" button. Then just wait for the unit to run the update, it will restart when its done.

If you are using the same SD card that you keep your music on, delete the update files from the SD card when you are done.

US UNITS AND 12 HOUR CLOCK
DynOS 1.0.1 or later required....see above.

The dynavin by default will display all the OBC screens in metric and the clock in 24 hour format. There is now a setting in the system settings menu to select EU or USA for the unit, change it to USA and you will find that all the units are now SAE and the clock is 12 hour.
Keep in mind that there are some other regional settings such as the radio region setting (European or US frequencies) and of course all the navigation related regional settings....these settings are in the specific radio or nav settings menus.

TIME ALIGNMENT
What is time alignment? In a car you sit on the left side, placing you closer to the left side speaker, so the sound from the left side gets to your ears before the the right side and greatly reduces your sound sound quality. The goal in high end audio is to create a solid aural image of each musician at a certain point in space on a a perceived soundstage. By delaying the near side channel we can bring the sound back into "alignment" and put you in the "sweet spot."

Sitting in the drivers seat measure the distance to each speaker (the front and rear mids in the case of the E9X). In my personal car it looks something like this:

FL: 28in (71cm)
FR: 48in (124cm)
RL: 24in (61cm)
RR: 42in (107cm)

Take the longest distance and subtract the other distance from that number...

So we end up with:

FL: 53cm
FR: 0cm
RL: 63cm
RR: 17cm

In a recording there are sounds and musicians to the left, the right, and the center, it's the center that we are concerned with here. Most of the time the drums and primarily the vocalist are in the center. We want to select a music track that has some space in it so we don't want a heavily overdubbed recording with lots of backing vocals....too much noise.

Set the fader to the front so we are only hearing the front pair of speakers. Enter the delay numbers above and put on some music. It should sound pretty good. Then raise one side of the delay settings, say the front left. As you do this you will hear the sound change, it will become hollow, out of focus, kind of a "in a tin can" kind of sound, your front speakers are now out of phase. Then lower the setting, as you pass the correct setting you will hear the sound come back into "focus", the vocals will move to the center of the car and become more solid. Keep going and you will hear it go out of phase again. Now go back towards you original setting again and listen as the music becomes focused again. Somewhere near the number we calculated above you will find the "sweet spot" where the vocals and bass are centered in the car and solid.

Then fade the rear speakers back in a little bit at a time until the sound is full and pleasing but not at the expense of the solid centered imaging. And that's it. Now you can play around with the EQ and other audio adjustments.

Try the above and if you have never hear a time aligned system you might be surprised by what you hear....it's a different experience than you are used to....

Let me know if you have questions....I've been running time alignment in all of my personal cars for....a long time now...

NOTE: the L7 system with the MOST adapter can only accept 2 channels of input from the head unit so you will not use any delay settings on the rear speakers, just measure the front settings and use those to set the time alignment, its not perfect but is still much better than non time alignment at all!

BOOT LOGO
Due to popular demand....here are some boot logo screens you guys can use....

To put a custom boot screen on your dynavin just copy and paste any 800X480 to a SD card or USB, jpg, png, bmp, all seem to work. Put the SD or USB in the Dynavin, select the appropriate source on the dynavin and find the pic you want to use, when you are viewing it simply press the icon in the lower left and and a check mark will appear. DONE!

I made this one, use it as you like....

I dont know where this one came from....but credit to whoever made it....

Credit to Transport3r for this one...nice!

Credit to 1QuikWS6 for submitting these:

Last edited by jeffb335; 09-10-2014 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 0