View Single Post
      08-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #22
Googlyamnesiac
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520D

Well after a day using this unit, it's safe to say ... it's great!

My install was a bit staggered due to life getting in the way but start to finish I would say that it took me about 3 hours. I've only ever fitted 1 other car stereo in the past. I've got the microphone left to route into place and also think I need to re-position the GPS sensor but apart from that i'm done...

Here's a few tips (I might be stating the obvious in some of them but figured if it saves someone some time then it's good me sharing my experience).

1) Hooking up to the battery for the permanent connection was definitely the way to go. I first started routing the cable through to the rear seats and then hit a stumbling block in trying to get the cable through to the trunk. . .

I got pissed off and thought 'screw it, i'll just use the fusebox'. 45 minutes later after getting even more pissed off I then went back to plan A ...

Like most of you probably, I have the seats that don't fold down in the rear. The real problem for me was getting the seat pulled up. In hindsight, it's damn easy. Just grab the seat at the edge and yank upwards (quite a lot of force!). There's one clip at each side. Then just pull it forwards a bit.

Then in the trunk lift up the storage board thing and pull it forwards a little (or take it out completely as I did).

Once youve done this, get a metal coathanger and slide it through from the bottom of the vertical seat that's still in place in the rear of the vehicle and you should (after a couple of attempts) see it from the trunk. Then tape your yellow 12V cable to the coathanger and pull it through.

During the whole install, this part probably took me the longest but if I had to do it again now, it would be a 5 minute job!

2) Filing down the HVAC controls ... slowly does it is my recommendation here. I went a bit gung ho after doing one side as I was getting impatient, I slipped and marred one of the buttons. It's not even noticeable and a quick touch up it'll be as good as new. If I were to do it again I would probably tape the edge of the buttons to protect them against neanderthal filing :-)

3) When offering up the HVAC controls to the Dynavin to see how much you have to shave off, don't think it's a good idea to push it into place to see. You'll spend the next 10 minutes delicately trying to get it free with a sweat building on your brow about how you are going to snap the plastic and completely screw your lovely new Dynavin.

These are my own honest opinions about the install. If any of it comes across as retarded then so be it haha, things are always easier when you look back at what you did!

As for the unit itself ...

I completely agree with the previous posts about the build quality and how OEM it looks, it fits flush and the color is identical to the HVAC controls. Looks really good.

It's speedy too, accessing a 64GB SD Card is quick and responsive. My 32GB ipod is a dream too.

Overall though I am delighted and really glad I took the plunge and bought this unit.

Thanks Jeff for making it available and the great work you've done.
Appreciate 0