11-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #19
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
I want to bring this up because I was doing some research the other day on HID ballast failures and I found the reason as to why the units fail in early models.

Most of the halogen fixtures in the headlights have a Pulse Width Modulation, PWM signal on it. PWM Is used to dim lights. It accomplishes this by rapidly turning the light source on and off in a square wave.

Turning ballasts on and off is not good for them and life is decreased.

I saw some people changing the PWM values through coding and while this may temporarily get rid of problems, it is just hiding it.

I found a person on a Volvo forum who built a small circuit that absorbs the PWM signal and filters it into a clean, flat signal.

If anyone's ballast are failing within a year, I would look into build this circuit and installing it.

Another alternative is to wire your ballast directly to the battery. Then have it triggered by a bosch relay via a switched source of your choice. To make it function like OEM, you can use the + wire in your headlights, that have the PWM signal on it.

You can use resistors across the leads in the headlight to prevent errors or code out the bulb check system.
Appreciate 0