View Single Post
      02-16-2019, 09:26 PM   #36
jeepinvader
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Update: I swapped my old hpfp back in today, and whaddayaknow? Inlet fuel pressure is back to 60psi. To make sure it wasn't a fluke, I put the new one back in, and sure enough, back up to 100psi. I can hear a difference in tone on the lpfp. It's definitely working harder with the new pump in, almost like there's a restriction in the hpfp. I'm going to source another one and see where that puts me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadir Point View Post
30 years is quite awhile for a fuel storage tank. Or maybe not - depending on how it was installed and maintained. Just a thought. Running like that until somethijg let go, I can pretty much guarantee the injectors are smoked. Again - literally anything in the fuel system with electronics or moving parts is now suspect. When the dealers see this type stuff they just write up a full-system refresh for $3-4k. It ends up being easier, quicker and cheaper in the long run, considering labor cost.
Makes sense for a dealer, but I don't like replacing parts that don't need replaced. I'll see where a new hpfp gets me, and I'll have the injectors tested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen81 View Post
Your rail pressure takes a dive off a cliff, the pressure must be going somewhere and it looks to be injected going by the amount of smoke you're putting out. Must be one or more injectors? These things are complex and I wouldn't trust a backyard test to rule them out.

I'd get them tested or swap for some known good used ones.
I think the smoke is from the turbo leaking oil into the exhaust. It's on the to-do list after this fueling issue is sorted out. I will get the injectors tested though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
Op....I had a similar problem in my E91. I along with my Indy shop we’re stumped. Finally my performance shop diagnosis was the Alternator! Turns out it was on the outs sending erratic voltage causing the car to die. Replaced it and car ran perfect again. Not sure if this applies for you but thought I would mention it.
Interesting, I never would have considered that. We'll see where I get with the fuel system, but I'll keep that in mind.
Appreciate 0