View Single Post
      08-15-2017, 12:49 PM   #19
Moorea
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

Hey - newbie here...
2008 BMW 335xi e90

We had the ABS/4x4 warnings as well as a light crunch upon starting the car. We took it in for a diagnostic at our shop, and he said that they aren't able to determine if just the motor needs to be replaced ($1,000) or the entire transfer case ($3,700). If we replace the motor and it doesn't work, we still have to pay that $1,000 plus the $3,700 for the new transfer case. That sounded like a crappy position to be in so I called our shop we used from back when we were in Chicago and he validated that advice. The Chicago shop also said that he usually replaces the motor first and there has only been one case where the entire transfer case needed to be replaced. The SF shop on the other hand, said since the entire motor is metal (whereas most other transfer cases have plastic parts) we probably need to replace the whole transfer case. Sounds like a mean lottery game to me.

Any advice as to which path we should pursue? I've done exhaustive research (tried the left to right cranking, unplugging and replugging the battery cables), and now my head is spinning. I'm leaning toward replacing the motor first, but I don't really know.

Any advice is appreciated!
Appreciate 0