View Single Post
      08-28-2020, 04:08 PM   #7
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by csquared013 View Post
Looks like this will be a drawn out issue.

I removed the windshield wiper arms and the cowling below the windshield and found there to be an obscene overuse of sealant that was causing the cowl to not be able to seat against the base of the windshield. Unfortunately I didn't find any clips that would hold it down to the windshield or any remnants of where clips may have been and broken off.

Used an xacto blade to carve off the excess sealant flush with the base of the glass and reinstalled the cowling. Oddly, the rubber flashing still isn't flat against the window anywhere except the passenger side so I may just need to put sealant between the rubber and the windshield for now. It's as if the old windshield sat higher away from the body than the new one by around a quarter of an inch.

After picking around a bit more, I found the windshield doesn't appear to be set properly. The driver's side of the window has a very thin gap between the glass and the body colored flashing along the top 6 vertical inches of the windshield as if it was set too far towards the passenger side...

For now I'm going to keep an eye on it since i need to conserve money for a slew of other small problems. I'll be digging into some schematics to see if there's just a part missing that I'm not noticing though. Luckily I just moved to Santa Fe and we don't get a whole lot of rain so I may be able to get away with the shoddy job for now if I don't have any luck with the tech that installed it.

Hello, I went through this and it was a complete nightmare trying to find someone to fix it. Most windshield shops don't understand it can cause a leak by letting water roll into the AC blower.

The only way to correctly fix this is to order the new molding top and bottom. Then have the windshield replaced again or maybe reinstall. But most place wont do reinstall. I highly suggest you do not let this problem go on. If it leaks it will rust out your blower or worse yet damage your FRM.

If you had a windshield shop recently do this they usually have multi year or lifetime warranties. I suggest you bug the hell out of them to fix this because if you don't you are looking at min 60 bucks in parts + windshield reinstall cost.
Appreciate 0