View Single Post
      10-05-2007, 06:10 PM   #28
WilyB
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335

Garage List
It has been a long day in Zurich, and a fun evening, so I will post a short answer about license plates.

My angle is purely theoretical. I am not a lawyer and I do not know which solution is legal, or not, in whichever jurisdiction you might be. I advise the readers to inquire in their own countries, states, counties etc. about what is legally doable or not.

There are several ways to reduce the front license plate “signature” (RCS and laser return).

1. Do not mount a license plate.

2. If you are not legally obliged to sport a license plate, do not mount a fake metal plate with the logo of your favorite car manufacturer or your favorite team.

3. If you have to have a license plate:

a. Dip in the mud, bake it in the oven, and mount it back on your car.

b. Cover it with commercially available “anti-laser” coating. (I have not yet tried that product, so I have no opinion whatsoever about its performance. )

c. Cover it with the “Tool booth violator” plate. (Again, I have no clue whether it works or not, but I am sure the LOE will recognize it for what it is and treat you as a toll scoundrel! )

d. Get from the DMW the darkest possible plate available. I’ve seen some pretty dark colored ones from some states. Coat it while new with a coat of matt clear varnish.

e. Get from the many vendors on the internet a plastic 3D license plate replica, with a license plate sized chunk of our RAM behind it.

4. While all of the above it fun, it may not be practical for many reasons. Here is what I would do if you cannot legally drive w/o a front license plate: angle it up. Millions of $$$ of studies say the right angle is fifteen degrees up (this is not a secret: just look at all those stealthy LaFayette frigate in the James Bond movies). Add to those fifteen degrees the angle that a LOE shooting his laser gun from 5’ to a car 200’ away (too tired to compute the angle now) and you will end up with a license plate about 107 degrees from the horizontal.

I’ll test #1 and #4.
Appreciate 0