View Single Post
      04-13-2006, 07:52 AM   #41
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie
DavidN: Man, that is one fine guide to detailing! Respect to you for that one.

I hope to be using your method soon on my new 325.

A couple of questions:

1. I don't have a polishing machine and even though I want a nice looking car, I don't plan on buying one:yet! I may be convinced later. If I understand you correctly, only a machine will get swirl marks out. I am hoping there aren't any on the new car. So ZPC will be a waste of time until I buy a machine. But how about Z5? They advertise that to remove light swirls...

2. I am hoping on dawning the car using your washing method and then claying and then 3 layers of Z2 PRO. Do you think that should hold up on a new car after shipping?

3. The dealer has thrown in a free detail as part of getting the car to Vancouver (I am using Euro Delivery). I don't know whether to bother with the detail since I want to Zaino the car. Should I get the detail and then when it wears off, Zaino the car, or should I not bother with the detail since it'll do more damage than good?

I am hoping to maybe use the detail to get them to do the inside and wheels and maybe hand wash to get any sealant/wax off, before I clay and Zaino it.

Any thoughts...?
Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you found the guide helpful.

As to your questions:

Q: If I understand you correctly, only a machine will get swirl marks out.

A: Correct

Q: So ZPC will be a waste of time until I buy a machine. But how about Z5? They advertise that to remove light swirls...

A: Agreed. ZPC willbe a waste without a machine. As for Z5, it can hide very very fine swirls, but in my experience, the swirl hiding ability is not that great. If that is solely what you are buying it for I'm not sure how satisifed you'll be.

Q: I am hoping on dawning the car using your washing method and then claying and then 3 layers of Z2 PRO. Do you think that should hold up on a new car after shipping?

A: Absolutely. That will be more than enough.

Q: Should I get the detail and then when it wears off, Zaino the car, or should I not bother with the detail since it'll do more damage than good?

A: I would go to the dealer and see some black cars they have detailed. Find out almost first hand how good or poor of a job they do. See if they have induced any nasty rotary holograms on any of the cars. Also ask to meet the detailer. See if he's some 16 yo kid making minimum wage (like at most dealers) or if he is an actual pro. For me personally, I would not let the dealer touch my car. Just ask them to remove the cosmoline, and that's it. Don't even let them wash it. You should take it from there (was, clay, zaino).

Q: I am hoping to maybe use the detail to get them to do the inside and wheels and maybe hand wash to get any sealant/wax off, before I clay and Zaino it.

A: Let them do the interior for sure. Don't let them hand wash.
Appreciate 0