View Single Post
      05-27-2011, 09:45 PM   #1
DubVBenz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: a

Considering trading in my E320 Bluetec for a 335d.. Opinions please

I have an 07 Bluetec that's pretty well optioned out (for the diesel), and now has around 47K. I purchased a year ago with 27K, and the car has been pretty reliable. I had to fix a few odds and ends under warranty (door lock actuator and keyless entry door handle) when I first purchased it, but the engine & transmission have been pretty flawless.

I like the 335D (more power, slightly better economy), and would be interested in trading for a late 11 early 12 within the next year, but had a few questions for those in the know.

1) It looks like the electronics in current BMWs can be finicky or downright poor in quality control. I'd like to think I wouldn't be replacing window regulators, seat motors and various electronic components on a yearly basis. MB's don't have a great reputation anymore for electronics, but the basics seem to be pretty good still. I've been reading some horror stories on here, but I was hoping these issues would be ironed out near the end of the e90 production run.

2) Engine stuff: Any issues with the d? I know the HPFS has been horrid on the 335i, but haven't heard similar issues with the d. I've heard mumblings of turbo lifespan issues, so if anyone has any input on that, I'd appreciate it. I also had heard that the diesel had a problem with plastic intake flaps disintegrating and being sucked into the air filter, is this still an issue (or was it ever)?

3) ZF Transmission: Can I realistically expect this to last 100K or more if I am religious about flushing and approved synthetic fluid? The 5 speeds in MB's from the late 90s to 2006 are "lifetime fill", which means they crap out if you don't flush by the time they reach 100k. I know the same ZF lifetime fill transmissions in older BMWs shared the same problem. My 7-speed includes regular maintenance intervals, and aside from valve-body electronics issues on the earlier iterations, I haven't heard of any major mechanical issues with it as long as you respect regular maintenance intervals.

Overall: I know the W211 & E90 are completely different cars. One is a small sports sedan, the other is a larger executive saloon (although they weigh the same amount surprisingly). Has anyone else gone from one to the other, and can you share your insight? Aside from the missing space and spare tire, I would probably miss the panoramic roof and more luxurious interior, but would welcome the BMW apps Nav upgrade.

Performance: I have a tuning box on mine which means my torque is probably slightly more than 425, and my HP is around the 230 mark, but I understand you can get the 335d above 300HP fairly easily. Could I expect to do so without destroying the engine and transmission?

Please, don't flame because I'm a benz guy, I'm looking for honest opinions for a car I intend to own for 5+ years (unless a higher output MB diesel short wheelbase S-class is released).
Appreciate 0