View Single Post
      03-29-2018, 08:38 AM   #70
bionicbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z3 coupe, 128i

I will share my experience from this weekend in regards to Traction/stability control.

First off, yes, it is a good idea starting out.

Be cautious though. It can lead to some REALLY bad habits.

I had a student this weekend that would have piled his car up if it were not for the stability control. But, it isn't what you think. He was actually using it to get him around corners. He would turn in wherever he felt like, mash the gas, and ride the stability braking around the corner. A couple of times he went in 90-100mph corners way to hot, cranked the wheel, and let stability do his braking. Honestly, it was terrifying.

It was actually kinda funny, because at one point, I was trying to explain how to find landmarks for turn in and brake markers, and he says, "It doesn't matter where I turn in, I always exit in the same spot." Yeah, I suppose if stability is on, that is a thing.

Honestly, the best place to learn the car without stability is autocross. It will let you get to know the dynamics of sliding/rotating the car, what it feels like to get out of shape, all in a low risk environment.

Also, once you figure things out, stability/TC is the WORST. Terrible for track and autocross.
Appreciate 6
feuer4275.50
justpete1233.00
bbnks21206.50
Biginboca3763.50
dsjr2006157.00