View Single Post
      05-31-2019, 10:16 AM   #1
cheeseforlunch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 MPE BMW 440i xDrive

Garage List
Flame tune on N/A possible?

Okay. Before anyone starts to bash me for asking, I'd just like to say that the goal of my build was to try to incorporate things that haven't been done before, or that would be unique to the car. This will be one of those.

- Yes, I know it may seem ricey to some people, but to others (including myself), it would be a very fun feature.

- Yes, I am aware that it's an N/A E90, and nowhere near as powerful as a 335i or an M3.

- Yes, I am aware that it might cause future problems with the car (that I'm willing to take care of).

Now that all of the disclaimers are out of the way...

Let's assume, for the situation, I am technically straight-piped (AA Catless Headers, Catless Midpipes, Muffler/Resonator delete).

I recently talked to a local tuner (of a reputable shop) who claimed he could create a flame/overrun tune for the 330i. I have never seen this done before; however, I have seen 1-2 N/A E9Xs spit flames on upshifts or downshifts.

That being said, does anyone think this tuner has the capability of creating a flame tune on a (rather) limited platform such as the E90 330i? I have seen many other N/A cars with flame tunes (even non-turbo'd E46s... MS43 etc). I'm also curious why no one has attempted it with the N/A E90s; it seems like a widely affordable and experimental platform now.

I'd like to hear everyone's input (based on tuning/modding experiences), but please refrain from telling me whether or not you like cars that spit flames... LOL. It appeals to my younger side, and that's my only excuse.

2018 Valencia Orange (MPE) BMW 440i xDrive
Appreciate 0