View Single Post
      03-26-2015, 10:41 AM   #17
litxus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roo97ss View Post
We have fixed a fair number of salvage vehicles over the years. mostly body on frame trucks and suvs. we haven't done a bmw yet as the right one hasn't come our way.

When you repair it yourself and are knowledgeable it's fine. The market is however flooded with cars like this where they downplay the repairs. Other thing I've seen is cars and trucks at auction where someone has already pulled and started to straighten the damage so it doesn't look as bad as it is before you pick it up.

The most recent 3 vehicles we bought were probably the new car replacement insurance plan. These cars are low milage one had 483 miles on it, 1 year old and very minor damage.
I have been in salvage business before, but not anymore. If you have a body shop, that might be ok side business, or unless you are in commercial / work cars or trucks then title doesn't matter. Before COPART and online auctions were huge some good deals were to be found. Now, you have blind buyers buying from all over the world by pictures alone and this raises prices to the point of no sense. There are a lot of shady shops out there too that buy junk, and "straighten" the car without unbolting anything to make it look pretty for pictures and then sell back at COPART to unsuspecting buyers. I would personally never buy a more expensive damaged vehicle if I couldn't take a look at it. Seen too many cars bought online show up with missing radios, navigation systems, lost keys (in some cases huge $$$ loss), switched wheels, and worst the engine from some other POS just dumped in the engine bay to make it look like it has an engine.
Appreciate 0