View Single Post
      01-13-2016, 08:30 AM   #5
fermano66
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Is there any way you can get a written explanation on what the problem is. You are not translating what the SA told you very well. Camshafts have bearing caps; there is no such thing as a "camshaft carrier cap". The N52 has a part called the bearing ledge. Does the SA mean the cylinder head is cracked? Not enough info here.

Since the work being done is replacing the oil pan gasket, they will drain the oil. I doubt the technician drained the oil into a catch pan and then measured the quantity. I doubt the engine would even run properly with just 3 quarts of oil in it since it takes 7 and the VANOS system needs a constant flow of oil to operate. And at 4 quarts low on oil the CBS would have definitely made you aware of the low oil condition. The CBS lets the engine run to 1 quart low and then notifies the driver of the low oil level. Does you sister understand how the CBS notifications work, or is she a woman who just ignores notifications on the dashboard until the car dies and then she dials her cell phone to call for help?

Good luck.
So I am getting it in writing but I think he said the cylinder head is cracked and that their are two other cylinders that are blue from low oil. The part I dont understand is that I brought it in there with no oil light. I know it didn't have an oil light on, then he claims it came on in their test drive and said to put 1 quart in there and I said okay that's fine, maybe it was from the seals being old. Then he said the car had only 3 quarts in it? The car ran fine when I brought it in there and like you said she wouldn't be able to drive it if it only had that much oil in it. Yeah I'm not the best with communicating the parts and what not, but I asked for it in writing to post here
Appreciate 0