View Single Post
      12-08-2018, 08:58 PM   #4
Stugger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E92 Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
How is that you didn't know of the cracked coolant radiator?
It was cracked near the plastic flange that the lower hose connects to, barely any seepage to be noticeable but cracked none-the-less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post
Bmw engineers in this case decided to provide us with an oil temp gauge instead of a coolant temp gauge because this information is more relevant to the n54. Engine oil takes a while to reach optimum temp, which is also higher on this platform typical. How would a water temp gauge have helped you regarding your cracked coolant? Your low coolant light would turn on before the coolant would overheat. And if it was going to overheat, there's a light for that too.
I understand oil temps are more relevant on the 335i, but it’s not like water temp is irrelevant. It would have been cool if the “Vehicle Info” option on the iDrive displayed more fluid information other than just oil level. The coolant temp meter on my e46 saved me from overheating when my water pump began to take a crap, I’d rather visually see my coolant temp is slightly higher than normal prior to a random “hey you’re about to destroy your engine you’d better pull over immediately” alert. I know this wouldn’t have made a difference in my coolant level, it just got me thinking about the cooling in general and why I’m not able to see that my coolant temp is where it should be? Especially considering the high failure rate of these electric water pumps

The why is irrelevant though, I just want to know from anyone with experience with the Rixster Vent Boost Gauge or JB4 if I’m able to view this information?

Last edited by Stugger; 12-08-2018 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 0