View Single Post
      07-01-2010, 11:26 AM   #8
benton0311
Lance Corporal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, Graphite

Still working on the videos, I'm 8,000 miles from high speed internet for the time being. Hoping to finish them by tonight. I do have to call into question the fact that K&N is putting these out. That and the fact that when you search for MAF oil contamination the top links that come up are ones that are clearly sponsored by K&N.

The MAP sensors should be a non-issue. They simply measure pressure and shouldn't be very prone to oil contamination, if at all. MAP: Manifold Absolute Pressure and in order to measure the correct pressure it has to be in or near the manifold and post turbo, intercooler, etc. If it was anywhere else it would only sense a vacuum.

Thing is I've actually seen the oil residue in the various MAF housings and on the inside of the filters and it wasn't engine oil. As for vapors coming back through the intake I'm sure that happens to a small extent when the engine is shut off but anytime the engine is running it is pulling air in under significant vaccuum.

Now, on the other hand, even though I saw non-engine oil in the filter housings maybe that wasn't the actual contamination that my MAF sensors were experiencing. In that case then it would have to be increase in particulate matter that was making it through the filters.
Appreciate 0