View Single Post
      10-15-2018, 05:00 AM   #18
AndyVR
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 320i 2010 MSport

Something else to look out for on the N43 is the chain tensioner failing - at 75k miles I started to get engine rattling when cold, but I don't think I heard it initially due it being drowned out by the radio/CD player. It soon sounded terrible and I thought I had chain and guide problems. A new genuine tensioner fixed the problem completely, the old one didn't appear worn or sticky, but the part has been through several revisions so there has been an issue with the design, hopefully this latest revision will last now.

If you like to do a few preventative jobs, another good one on the four pots is to check the rear ABS reluctor rings for corrosion/distortion - they have a different setup than the 6-pots / M3 , what happens is that the rings bulge and start to wear away the ABS sensors - which on my car first showed itself on the motorway with a flashing DSC light, power loss and unwanted braking! It's easy to pull the sensors out, check that the end of the sensor is still flat, and peer down the hole and check for any rubbing (shiny patches) on the metal reluctor rings, and for corrosion of the driveshaft underneath.

Sounds like a nice spec car - enjoy!

Andy
E91 320i MSport