View Single Post
      08-15-2016, 07:34 AM   #226
al kazaz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Xdrive

2011 E92 xDrive

I put the car on ramps, removed the plastic bits and basically said "Oh shit. This looks nothing like the videos online."

I'm trying to decide whether I gave up too easily (and to make another try myself) or need to just take it to a shop. At this point I have a communications error and low power faults (2E83 and 2E85) and am replacing the pump and thermostat on my terms instead of waiting for an all out failure. I am an experienced DIY mechanic, having pulled engines and done other major work. Granted, it was on cars from the 1960s, but it is not my first rodeo.

The main problem is that I cannot see the back of the pump at all. It is hidden under various structure (i.e., the sub frame) that is specific to the xDrive models. I can see all the bolts - can I get the pump out without access to the back hose? How about the thermostat - what's hidden on that and how do I get to those?

Lacking a lift, I do not want to get myself into a situation where I have the car half apart and then find I have to do something I'm not equipped for. And I live 50 miles from the nearest shop I would trust with a BMW,

I have no problem removing the fan. I would be very nervous removing a front wheel with the car on ramps as it sounds dangerous. Is it necessary and, if so, should I use jack stands instead?

Any other specifics for the xDrive would be appreciated.

Al
Appreciate 0