08-19-2018, 12:51 AM   #4
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerNugget View Post
That shit doesn't work....generic OBD2 scanners DO NOT WORK. P-codes are nearly useless for diagnosing cars. Honestly the only thing generic OBD2 code readers are good for is to check emission monitor readiness and to see if someone reset the check engine light. THATS IT!

For our E9X BMWs here are your options for diagnostics from cheapest to most expensive:

1) BMW INPA or ISTA Software (Free) on a windows laptop and a $15 K+D Can cable.

2) Foxwell NT510 or NT520 Scanner loaded with the BMW software ($150) (Software for other makes are available for download at $60 a pop).

3) Autel Maxisys or Maxidas DS808 ($600 to $2500). This is a professional level diagnostics tool that mechanics and repair facilities will use. It does everything that BMW ISTA/INPA and Foxwell NT510/NT520 can do but the advantage is that it comes loaded with software for all Makes and Models (Asian, European, American).

All 3 of these options are better than a stupid generic OBD2 scanner in that these have the ability to connect to each individual module on the car and read manufacturer specific codes.

If you have multiple cars in your family (like me), the "best value" is the Autel Maxidas DS808. At around $680 it covers every make and model. We have 2 BMWs, 1 Honda, 1 Toyota, 1 Lexus.
Have you seen Bimmergeeks' Pro Tools? It may be a little focused on coding options but its no slouch as it has a lot of INPA options. I know the universal pro models are mechanic standards, but even as someone who prefers iOS, this is pretty good....tho android only.
Appreciate 0