View Single Post
      06-22-2019, 04:25 PM   #18
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e93, M sport, 269 alloys

This was not quite as easy as others have suggested, (but not difficult). The following may help:

1. You will need to download the 1b.hex file to your pc and then EXTRACT to root of a USB stick. The file can be found here. https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1461515
2. Read and follow the instruction file that is on the USB stick, once you have extracted the .zip file.
3. Whilst there (on e90 thread) you also need to download the bmw_cic_fsc_generator.zip and extract to your PC.
4. Then take the USB stick and stick it into the glove box usb whilst the ignition is on and after about 30 secs the file you need will have been downloaded to the USB stick. There is no indication from the car that anything has happened. And if it does not happen first time, try again and also, as suggested by the notes file in the downloaded zip file, try another usb. You will be successful in the end.

....Meantime on the PC extract the bmw_cic_fsc_generator to a folder on your PC. Then run the 'application' (exe. File) you see in the new folder.

5. The top option in fsc generator is to enter a file location, so enter the location of the USB stick that has the new 1b.hex file that you have on the USB stick you put in your glove box usb drive.
6. Then you will need to select the options from the drop downs in the generator. These are all self explanatory as they have drop downs to select.
7. Get the code from the generator and write it down or save it to your PC in a notepad file.
8. Now you need to have the 2019-2 maps update. To get this I had to install torrent and then download it. This was all reasonably straightforward and as I do not us torrent or other peer to peer file sharing, once I had it I deleted torrent from my PC, just as a precaution.
9. So I had 2019-2 downloaded and copied it to a usb. I made a mistake and created a folder on the usb and then downloaded to that folder. That did not work when I plugged it into the car, so I deleted the folder and as instructed downloaded to the root of the USB. The result is that the USB has one folder and 1 file. You should have a pkgdb folder and a config.nfm file.
10. With the folder and file on the USB drive, then all you need to do is plug the USB stick into the glovebox usb port and wait. The screen will alert you that it has found an update and do you want to install it.
11. Confirm you want to install it and you will be asked for the activation code. Now you enter the code that you got from the generator (Step 7 above).
12. After a slight pause the display will confirm it is updating. This takes 50 minutes.

I did the update whilst driving and all was okay. I stopped twice and once cancelled the update and then started again. The second time I left the ignition on and when I came back to the car, the ignition had turned off. When I Started I was asked if I wanted to update again and when I said yes, the updated started from where it left off.
Note: If you cancel the update and then restart like me, you do not need to enter the long activation code again.
I hope this helps those that are less confident with grapping files and whacking stuff into your car willy nilly.

Thanks to everyone for this and I hope this might help someone.