View Single Post
      02-26-2014, 12:28 PM   #120
dylim
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Thanks for providing the link. I have the BMW TIS procedure (that I downloaded in April 2009 before the Bentley manual was published) and I have since bought the Bentley service manual. Both procedures call for bleeding the coolant when the engine and coolant is cold using the procedure prescribed in this DIY. I did my first coolant change in April 2009 when my car hit 76,000 miles. Since that mileage I've replaced the t-stat (134K), then the water pump (152K), OFHG (161K - drained the radiator), and replaced the hoses at 236K; so 5 times I've done the procedure all without any issue. I followed the procedure in this DIY.

What I think you see is someone who is doing the bleeding procedure as a demonstration (to show how the pump moves the coolant back into the reservoir) after the car had cooled off to the point the system was not pressurized and safe to open. The coolant was probably still warm and it was very cold in the building he was making the video in causing the vapor seen coming from the reservoir. Whoever made the video did not use the correct bleeding procedure. You do not bleed the system with the reservoir open or with the bleed screw open. The procedure shown in the video is wrong. I'd also add he is not using BMW coolant and he said he was using a 80/20 mixture ratio (which seems extreme even for a far north winter climate), which tells me he's a hack BMW shadetree mechanic anyway. And though I'm not familiar with the sound the 335 pump makes, the E90 pump does not make that loud grainy sound; the N52 pump is very quite and smooth sounding.

I suggest you follow the procedure in this DIY because it is the correct procedure.
Couldn't agree with you more on all the points! I just wanted to show you the link
Appreciate 0