02-18-2009, 01:04 PM   #49
HighVoltage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasmeter View Post
Hi

Ok I have got as far as selecting a processor to handle the comms side with an inbuilt can 2.0 controller (selected on the basic I already have a compiler and flash programmer for it), actually an NEC device.

http://www.eu.necel.com/micro/produc...ml#lineControl

Could I ask a couple of more questions

1/ With the ignition on but engine not started , is there a lot of traffic on the KCAN ?
2/ aside from the overhead alarm . (I assume its a alarm module and not just a sensor ?)
is there a bus point to pickup on in the boot (actually an e92) ?
3/ Is there anything in the centre console area ?

or where has everyone else tapped into the car ?

I am thinking of fitting a semi permanent connector so i can connect as and when I like but the ideal would be the boot or center console.

Peter
1. Yes. As soon as you unlock the vehicle, there is quite a bit of CAN traffic.
2. Maybe. On the E46 you could tap onto the IBUS through the CD changer, however that is now on a MOST bus, as are all the audio components. I'm not sure if there are any modules on KCAN back there. TCU maybe? Ill see if I can find something, as I would prefer that location for a permanent install.

3. Yes, but I dont remember the connector #. If you have Idrive it is connected, if you do not have Idrive it will be tucked away. Find the Idrive retrofit thread for details.

EDIT:

3. No. Looks like that cable is not pre-iwired. The harness is only installed if you have idrive.

"I-drive controller:
-Is hooked up via 4-pin cable which is non-existent on non-idrive cars - if we tap into the same pins (as above) for the CID, I think we can get it working also:
Pin 1 of the controller: 30G(power) ----> hook to pin 15 on back off CCC(x13812)
Pin 2 of the controller: 31E(ground) ---> hook to pin 12 on back of CCC(x13812)
Pin 3 of the controller: K-Can high -----> hook to pin 11 on back off CCC(x13812)
Pin 4 of the controller: K-Can low ------> hook to pin 9 on back off CCC(x13812)"
Attached Images

Last edited by HighVoltage; 02-18-2009 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0