01-19-2018, 12:15 AM   #74
KiX1911
Blah
Canada
Rep
Drives: Awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by viren11.patel View Post
Hey all - here is hoping someone sees this and can provide some insight..

I have an issue where my car starts to overheat, but only on highway drives at the 30-40 minute mark. I will get a light telling me engine is getting hot (yellow) and to drive moderately (no loss of power or anything) then immediately a red light (engine too hot) telling me to pull over, at the same time the car will start decelerating and I will lose power. I pull over, shut the car off for 2-3 minutes, turn it back on and the car drives perfectly fine! I am able to complete the rest of the trip (about 20 minutes). I looked on this forum and these are normal symptoms for waterpump and thermostat.

I brought it to a guy who always looks at my car (an independent shop) and he is saying I have a deeper issue other than waterpump and tstat, which is a blown head gasket or some sort of crack in the engine head... This is an expensive fix. My mechanic is pretty well-versed in BMW's and has replaced alot of engines before on these cars as well.

To be sure, I brought my car to Maranello BMW in Vaughn and they are confident that it is a water pump and thermostat issue and quoted me $2,600 all in for new pump, t stat, radiator hose and coolant flush.

I am conflicted because my independent shop guy says I am wasting my time and that even if the water pump is bad, there is an underlying issue that the coolant is mixing with the oil... My guy checked the oil filter housing gasket and replaced the gasket and did a pressure test and says the coolant is forsure leaking still from somewhere in the head of the engine and to find out you need to lift the block of the engine.

BMW Maranello says they ran their own pressure test and are certain it is not a blown gasket or engine head issue, and that it is quite rare for their cars to have that sort of problem where the head gasket is blown or there are any cracks. The car is not constantly overheating as well and only intermittently..

Has anyone experienced this kind of issue before? Any help or guidance or even opinions would be greatly appreciated!

I think you need a third opinion. Take it to BMWizard or RMP. I would trust both those guys over BMW Maranello.

B
Appreciate 0