05-18-2016, 09:14 AM   #86
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||||| View Post
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but as stated I've been able to communicate with my car, so I've been reluctant to reinstall everything for fear I would run into the same issues as before with the install and have the same results (or not be able to communicate with the car at all). Something is certainly not functioning properly with my cable, so I had hoped that you could help me understand what the issue is (cable or program install issues) and what I can do if anything to fix it (short of reinstalling everything or buying a new cable).

Here is what I've had to do to get my setup to communicate with my car (some steps may not have anything to do with it, but this is what I do and it works):

1. Plug INPA cable into USB port (cable light will turn orange and stay illuminated)
2. Wait until light on cable goes out (30 seconds?)
3. Open IFHSrv32 (doesn't seem to make a difference though)
4. Open INPA (Black dots will be illuminated)
5. Plug cable into car
6. Turn ignition on
7. Cycle ignition off (both INPA black dots go out
8. Turn ignition back on (both INPA dots turn on again
9. At this point, I can communicate with the car (light on cable is off, though it will flicker orange when the ECU is being read

I should add, that if I simply plug the cable into the car without waiting for the orange light to go out, the orange light will turn green once it's plugged in, both black dots will be illuminated (and I don't believe cycling the engine on and off affects this) and I get the IFH-0009 error and can't do anything. For some reason, I am being forced to wait until the lights go out on the cable, then I can plug the cable into the car and communicate with it

I could be wrong, but I believe the following is wrong:

1. When I turn the ignition off, only the IGN button should go white (BATT should stay illuminated)
2. I would assume the lights on the cable should do more than just flicker when the ECU is being read (but when my lights are orange or green the car won't communicate with INPA)

It seems I have an issue, though I can communicate with the car so I am wondering if I should just leave it and continue as is. Anyone seen anything like this, or know what my issue is (hardware or software)?
Again, I'm in the process of relocating and do not currently have access to my rig or car. As I recall, you're correct, the ignition clamp should function independently from the battery clamp.

Sometimes cheap K+DCAN cables have incorrect resistors which preclude sensing of the battery and/or ignition signals. I use a one stop cable and have never had any issues. Sorry I can't be of more help.