07-02-2005, 05:33 PM   #7
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Hey Skimo. I'm not positive at all, these are just assumptions, so here is my logic: First, someone with the phone dock/cradle should post their experience (with e90 or another model). I would imagine the value of the phone cradle would be the handsfree ability, so it would have to integrate with the sound system, and maybe even the steering contol button. If not, wouldn't it just be a really expensive charger?

As for the voice commands, I would imagine there is at least two hardware components to it: 1) the microphone and 2) the chip/computer to perform and process the voice commands. If the cradle could give you access to these, then that means the hardware is inherent in all e90's. For simple cost reasons from BMW, this I doubt.

Also, you posted in another thread about retrofitting bluetooth. My best guess is that getting an OEM-like retrofit would be economically impractical, though I hope for your sake it is not. Also, I've heard talk of after market/third party bluetooth kits for the car. I would imagine these would NOT give you your coveted BMW voice commands, though they might have their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimo
I really wanted voice commands/phone integration. Somehow I decided not to get it, and here I am getting millions of phone calls with my 6 speed...i wish i had a third hand (or got the blue tooth).

Redstripe, are you positive about what you said? is there no way to Integrate the steering wheel controls and voice commands after the fact?

Any previous BMW owners have experience with phone retrofit kits coming out ages after production?

Thanks
Skimo
Appreciate 0