12-26-2020, 10:31 PM   #5
thomas1097
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i xDrive Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Sas View Post
Recheck the pan bolts to see they haven't gone loose.
Also check the main electrical connector which is a common area that leaks with age.
Maybe moving thinks around caused the seal to start leaking. This is why its best to replace as many seals as possible when doing a transmission service.
Thanks, I'll take a look at them tomorrow morning. I have noticed that the electrical connector is usually covered in fluid so it's likely that it is in fact leaking from there as well. I think I may be redoing the job and replacing all the seals to be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas1097 View Post
There is a specific order in which you tighten the bolts. You can't just tighten them willy nilly one after the other. It's like a cross sectioning pattern you have to follow
I did follow the torque order, however I didn't have a torque wrench at the time. Is it possible to cause damage to the gasket by over torqueing the bolts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Sas View Post
Recheck the pan bolts to see they haven't gone loose.
Also check the main electrical connector which is a common area that leaks with age.
Maybe moving thinks around caused the seal to start leaking. This is why its best to replace as many seals as possible when doing a transmission service.
Thanks, I'll take a look at them tomorrow morning. I have noticed that the electrical connector is usually covered in fluid so it's likely that it is in fact leaking from there as well. I think I may be redoing the job and replacing all the seals to be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas1097 View Post
There is a specific order in which you tighten the bolts. You can't just tighten them willy nilly one after the other. It's like a cross sectioning pattern you have to follow
I did follow the torque order, however I didn't have a torque wrench at the time. Is it possible to cause damage to the gasket by over torqueing the bolts?
Yes there is, especially if you're reusing the same bolts. BMW rule of thumb, ALWAYS use new bolts.
Appreciate 0