View Single Post
      05-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
zzzbullseye
BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i (F10)

Thumbs up ---> E90 LCI Cornering Headlight Bulb Swap <---

Here's a DIY I threw together demonstrating how to swap out the cornering headlight bulbs. These are the H3 bulbs for the inboard most headlights that engage and when the steering wheel is turned. I honestly didn't know they where a different color than the xenon (HID) bulbs until a buddy of mine mentioned swapping his out to color match with the xenons. This is a fairly straightforward and inexpensive DIY. The area you'll be working in to access the bulb is a little cramped, but it's nowhere near as hard to access and work in as the area for the angel eyes...thank God! This is a relatively low impact change, but I now have all the headlight bulbs (xenons, AEs, cornering, and fogs) color matched.

I used the MTEC H3 4350k Super White bulbs that I purchased from E92-Lighting. They match the color of the xenons spot on.

Here's a shot of the bulbs and packaging:

The pictures below are of the driver's side assembly, there is no difference in steps for swapping the passenger side.

Here's a shot of the access cover above the headlight assembly:

Remove the rubber seal/bumper as noted in the picture below (it simply lifts off) and set it aside. Loosen and remove the three screws that secure the access cover.

In the picture below you can see the location of the bulb. Also notice the retaining spring that keeps the bulb secure.

To remove the bulb, pinch the retaining spring together as indicated in the picture below. I highlighted the hooked area of the flange that acts as a pivot point for the retaining spring - it is possible to completely remove the spring by unhooking it - I would advise leaving it connected if possible, being mindful not to knock it down into the light housing.

Once the retaining spring has been lifted, simply lift the bulb up out of the housing.

You'll need to pull the wiring out some to access the connector. Note: leave the brown wire connected, it's not part of the bulb connection.

Disconnect the old bulb and replace with the new bulb.

Thread the bulb back into the housing and secure with the retaining spring. The bulb should be placed so the wiring runs to the left as observed from above - the pattern of the bulb flange is such that it will only fit in the housing when positioned in this manner - note the cutout that aligns with the bulge or nib at the eleven o'clock position. Fish the extra wiring backwards towards the windshield.

Replace the access cover and rubber seal/bumper and you're all set!

Here are some comparison shots of the OEM and the replacement superwhite bulbs:

OEM bulb - notice the yellowish tinge especially in the reflection:

The superwhite replacement bulb:

Both the OEM and the superwhite bulbs together:

A slightly closer composite picture of the OEM and the superwhite replacement bulbs together. And no...I don't have broken tie rods...

Last edited by zzzbullseye; 12-12-2012 at 08:48 AM..
Appreciate 0