View Single Post
      07-11-2009, 05:19 PM   #189
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster4075 View Post
I think my BIGGEST concern of this whole CIC retrofit (as stated before) is that I'm pretty much sure conventional BMW programming methods (SSS/Progman) will fail to flash the car due to the part number incompatibilities for that year car - this is a try and see what happens issue. I'm fairly certain that we could get a CIC, CID, and controller all hooked up and working 90% without any programming at all. Its that last 10% that is going to be a hassle...

Someone needs to buy a CIC (or borrow one?!) and hook it up and see what happens!!! If I had my preference, it would be a 2006 or early 2007 E90! (hee-hee)
I thought about borrowing a CIC for testing until I found that document attached above about the FSC: according to that document, swapping a CIC from another vehicle will not work because each one is coded to the VIN thru the FSC.

If I get all the cables and the USB port, and got some reassurance from the local BMW dealer that I can get some custom FSC then I will order the parts. However, I'm keeping the old iDrive parts just to allow my car to be coded in the future by doing a quick retro-retrofit.
Appreciate 0