View Single Post
      07-23-2009, 11:57 AM   #198
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
So even with the part number for the connector you don't think it can be purchased?
My guess is that suppliers like Tyco, CWB, and even Molex have strict contracts with BMW for most of their connectors. For example, for three years I have been trying to order from Tyco the HiFi OEM amp PCB connector (the connector soldered at the OEM amp, not at the car) using the P/N printed in it to create a harness to no avail: their response has been that "only BMW can order this part". I have tried to even get individual pins from those OEM connectors and their answer is no, I have to buy whole harnesses from them in a minimum quantity of 1000 pieces.

Yeah, right.

Quote:
Weren't you thinking just a few posts earlier that a recoding wasn't necessary so long as the target vehicle was already equipped with the same iDrive options?
IMO, the difference between retrofitting the new iDrive and the new GSM TCU is that the GSM TCU is more intrusive/inclusive than the CDMA TCU from the point of view of the iDrive. The Google Search and the Stocks/Gas Prices/Weather display features of the new iDrive are possible thru the GSM TCU by just subscribing to the Convenience Plan. No coding/trip to the dealer is required, you pay $200 right now and within minutes you got all those features in your MY2009 iDrive screen.

The CDMA TCU -as far as I know- does not send any interactive display to the iDrive other than its basic data.

Then there's the issue of a possible change of iDrive/GSM TCU coding between 03/08 and 04/08 production, when the CDMA TCU was replaced by the GSM version. The new iDrive controller that I retrofitted in the "old" iDrive without any issues into my 05/08 production M3 is not working at all in pre-04/08 production M3: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280901

However, in the same thread there is an Australian 09/07 production M3 that the same new iDrive controller worked without any issues with the "old" iDrive... the difference is that its TCU is GSM -it has never been CDMA outside the USA.

Thus, I assuming that there must be some markedly different software running between the GSM TCU/"old" iDrive and the CDMA TCU/"old" iDrive that doesn't even allow the new controller to be backwards compatible. So swapping TCUs not necessarily would have to follow my theory of the Vehicle Order supporting a swap of iDrive components as some other coding will be required.

Last edited by Technic; 07-30-2009 at 08:00 AM..
Appreciate 0